Thursday 22 January 2015

2d tree rendering in Photoshop

2d tree rendering in Photoshop



Below are trees I have developed through Photoshop layering work using a variety of brushes and opacities. This set of trees was developed to implement within a number of A1 sheets which were produced for an assignment.


I strove to achieve a softer watercolour feel.

Some trees were included with branches and stems but I felt this restricted the versitility and aesthetic of the 2d models so only a limited number were explored.


My next step is to create a more extensive 2d library using a similar style to help my designs retain their own sense of identity and continuity.


I did experiment with trying to complete trees directly in cad and I have attached an example of this on paper. it doesnt capture the magic and thought felt effect of a more 'hand rendered' technique.
 Rendering using coloured lines and hatching in AutoCAD. Slow and inefficient.
 Completed Plan using new rendering technique and trees/shrubs developed for assignment.
 Branches included in trees took ones eye away from the adjacent canopies and did not aid the experience for the viewer.
 A screengrab of a number of trees and shurbs I have been altering and working on.

 Close up of a variety of planting - various brushes and techniques found on-line were experimented with. 
Close up shot of a tree using repetitive layers in a polar array of differing opacities. This represents a evergreen tree.

1 comment: